Monday, June 10, 2013

Sliver of Hope

Goodreads Summary:
My twin sister was the only person in the world I thought I’d known inside and out. Apparently, I was wrong.

Twin sisters share a unique bond, one that can't be broken by miles, time, or even death. Hannah and Hope Morton are no exception. When Hope takes her own life, Hannah loses a sister and a best friend, a catastrophe she isn't sure she'll survive herself.
With her family in ruins, Hannah is slowly disappearing, drowning in a sea of misery. Even her wild, energetic best friend can't pull her out of her grief. Desperate to help Hannah, her brother comes home from college, bringing his best friend Julian along, the first boy to break Hannah’s heart. None of their efforts are enough to pull Hannah off her self destructive path, though. Julian is the only one who can get through to her, working his way into her frozen soul with cocky remarks and genuine love that warms her from the inside out.
As Hannah works to find answers, she continues to uncover new secrets and people that reveal a side of Hope she had never shared with her twin. Alone now, Hannah must make a decision of her own: move on and start a new life with the people she has left, or let the weight of her grief drag her down with her sister.
 
Title: A Sliver of Hope
Author: Karla J. Nellenbach
Release Date: March 25th 2013
Publisher: Booktrope
Rating: 5 Stars
 
Review:
My initial thoughts- This book is great! The story really draws you in and keeps you there. Such a sad story that really shakes you to the core. Written in diary format, the style is different than what I'm used to, but after only a few chapters I found myself immersed in Hannah's story. You feel her hurt and her want to just understand. If only she could grasp just a sliver of her sister Hope (<-- you see what I did there) she could realize what has happened and move forward.
 
This is a really fast read. I finished in only a few hours. As the story unfolds you just have to keep reading, you want to know what's going to happen next, and you need to know how Hannah is doing. Hoping that she is getting better and praying she will be able to move on. I have never had, nor lost a twin, so I can only imagine the pain it would cause to lose your other half, and I feel Nellenbach did an excellent representation of it in this story.
 
By the end my emotions were worked, from the end of one love, to the beginnning of a new/old one. Through the twisted lies and hidden secrets, Hannah emerges from the shadow of her lost sister and into her own light. She ends with a new beginning and an understanding of how little others show their true selves and how to trust again.

Characters-
Hannah: Seeing as we are reading this story from her diary, I have to say she is an excellent story teller *wink,wink* Even though I don't have any actual experience with this kind of incident, Hannah was very relatable. The girl that lived in her sisters shadow, the girl that was always second best, or an add-on in everyone elses lives. Now she is the main focus, but they still only see her lost sister Hope. It would definitely suck to be identical twins and lose him/her, so that everyone that looks at you is clouded in pain of seeing a person they loved dearly, only it isn't your twin, it's you. I feel for Hannah, that would have been terrible. The story was told so well through her eyes. I feel her struggle.

Hope: I kind of hate her. She seemed to have everything she wanted, but she was depressed and sad underneath it all. Her character honestly seemed unrealistic to me, but then again that depth of depression is hard for me to even comprehend. Overall, I just feel for everyone that was a part of Hope's life, she was adored and loved by so many and she decided to take her life before it really even started.

Julian: Swoon worthy man alert. Hannah and Julian used to be in a relationship, they were the IT couple. Everyone loved them together and I have to say I was loving them together as well. Julian is very supportive to Hannah, he is probably the closest person to her after she loses Hope, and the only one that can truly comfort her in this time of grieving and confusion. He is without a doubt a yummy hearthrob. Can't get enough of him! The book was too short, I need more Julian.

Doug: Is such a good older brother, so sweet. I really enjoyed his part in the book. He had a strong sense of family. He may not have known what to do to help, but he did the best he could.

Overall-
Definitely worth the read! You will go through it fast, so if you were on the edge before you mind as well just dive on in! You really get a great story with good character development. The book has stayed with me long after the last page was turned. I look forward to reading more by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment