Saturday, May 5, 2012

One Moment


Goodreads:
This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie’s life. Now it’s the one she’d do anything to forget.

Maggie Reynolds remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party the night before. She remembers climbing the trail hand in hand with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can’t she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below—dead?

As Maggie’s memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?

The latest novel from the author of The Tension of OppositesOne Momentis a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you.


Title: One Moment
Author: Kristina McBride
Published: June 26th 2012
Publisher: Egmont
Where to buy: Barnes and Noble, Amazon

Review:

*This books was obtained from Netgalley for an honest review.

There is something so poetic about this cover, so fitting to the novel it embraces. A simple foot testing the water, shy and reserved. Just like our main character, Maggie.

McBride wastes no time getting the story started. Six best friends, all together enjoying each others company. Maggie is dared to jump off the cliff into the gorge below. She is terrified of heights, but is determined to do it this time, with her boyfriend, Joey, right by her side. Her and Joey have been together for two years, and when they make it to the top of the cliff, they share some sweet moments together. Then it comes time to jump, a moment of hesitation causes Joey to tumble off the cliff in a very wrong way. Turning six seemingly perfect lives turn into five broken fragments of life.

Joey's gone and he leaves a handful of questions in his wake. To top it all off, Maggie can't remember what happened at the top of that cliff, those last moments gone from shock. As she struggles to remember what happened up there, she uncovers secrets that threaten to shatter the perfect image of the Joey she has known and loved.

Overall, I was intrigued by the novel and the concept of dealing with the boy who once stood so high on the pedestal that you turn blind to all their faults. This story brings us down to our own human nature, exploring the lines of love, betrayal, friendship and trust.

There are a few problems that I came across while reading this novel. To start the story seemed unrealistic. Another issue was the fact that the novel was very predictable, which I wish it had less of because this is the kind of story that could have really surprised you along the way without all of the hints. The last thing I will pick on is the fact that that their always has to be the fairy-tale perfect ending, where the protagonist can do no wrong and she gets to walk away with the prince in the end.

To conclude I did very much enjoy this story as a quick breezy read. I liked that all the questions were answered in the end. I wasn't left wanting or feeling cheated.  Another positive is that the book took very little time to read, no more than three hours. I give credit to McBride who knew her point and made it without lagging behind.

Three words to describe One Moment-Capturing, fast-paced, and genuine.

Rating:





Recommended for people who enjoyed:
Wanderlove or My Life Next Door

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me know about your review for my WoW. This is a fantastic review, written lovely and is honest. I am always hesitant when i read review incase there's information give that i don't want to know- i dont mean in spoiler style tho. I got the right impression with the front cover though ;) that's always a good thing. You will have to watch out for my review x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really try my best to always keep my reviews spoiler free. I feel it is much better for the reader to be able to experience things for the first time through the book. So, I understand your hesitation. I am happy you found my review not too revealing! I will definitely come on the look out for when you have your own review!

      Delete