Friday, May 25, 2012

Delirium

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.
But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Release Date: February 1st 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen


Review:

Well, this review is long overdue. I read this book so long ago it seems, but I suppose in reality it was less than a month ago. Delirium was a book without love, or maybe just overflowed with it. The government has found that love is the cause of all the worlds problem. It made people crazy, now they have a cure. A surgical procedure that can eliminate the deliria forever.

Lena can't wait for the procedure, her mother and her family had a poor reputation when it comes to the deliria, and she doesn't want to be in the spotlight any longer. After she gets the procedure everything will be fine, everything will be safe. Then, she falls in love and now she has to fight with everything she has so she can keep from getting the procedure.

This novel was a straight three star rating until the very end. The ending alone deserves five stars, but to balance it out I am giving this book an overall four star rating. The novel was decent enough throughout the meat of the story, it just lacked that certain oomph to turn it into that amazing story. The character and plot developments were efficient and not lacking. I loved the secret teen society rebelling against the government, and the descriptions of the wild, and how it was well known that there had to still be people out there.

Again, I would just like to mention how absolutely fantastic the ending was. I feel Oliver really stepped out of the normal paradigm author comfort zone and threw us into the middle of a war. It was beautifully told, and had me gripped waiting and hoping for the best. Grace was one of my absolute favorite sideline characters, such big presence for such a little quiet girl.

Oliver certainly has a talent for the endings. I look forward to Pandemonium so I can read more of what happens next for Lena.

Rating:




Recommended for people that enjoyed:
The Pledge or Glitch

4 comments:

  1. Lovely, awesome and honest review! I've heard so many raving reviews about Delirium, yet not one talks about Alex and Lena's love. It seems as though love is really rare and Lena just falls in love with the one guy that winks at her :/

    But, your comment about the war really got me excited! :) It's great that authors dare to deal with the bigger picture, so I'm sure Pandemonium will have lots and lots of amazing scenes for us!

    Your reviews are just getting better and better! I love love love your style :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sel. I know what you mean about being busy! I can't wait to check out your blog, I am headed over there right now.

      Delete
  2. I have this book on my kindle waiting to be read and i *think* it will be on my July TBR list :)
    Great review, love how you put it together. Makes me want to read it even more :) Roll on Pandemonium for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to read Pandemonium, that is for sure. I have it all ready to go on my shelf, but I have some other book commitments at the moment. So I have to read those first, but i do very much look forward to turning the pages of Pandemonium!

      Delete