Thursday, May 24, 2012

Throwback Thursday (2)

This is a weekly meme started by me, Kelley Lee of Reading to Stay Alive
The rules are simple, pick a favorite book of your past, and post about it. You can pick a quote from the series, post the blurb, maybe write what was your favorite thing about the book. Pick a book that you haven't read for a long time, and spread the word about it's awesomeness, in something less or shorter than a review. Once you have your Throwback posted, come here are post a link in the comment section.


My Throwback Thursday-


Go As Alice by Anonymous 


This was a very serious book. I loved it. Dark and gripping, are the words that come to mind. It is a girls diary as she goes through the ups and mostly downs of her life.This books is the book that actually turned my opinion of reading around. See, my mom used to force me to read, so I had taken a break from it. Then I read this book, and my mind had completely changed. This book taught me that there could be life within the covers of a novel. There could be struggles that touched my soul. The characters could be real people in my heart. Because of this book I have so many fictional fantasy worlds going on within my very brain. I love it! And this is a great throwback from my past. 


Goodreads Summary:
January 24th After you've had it, there isn't even life without drugs.... 

It started when she was served a soft drink laced with LSD in a dangerous party game. Within months, she was hooked, trapped in a downward spiral that took her from her comfortable home and loving family to the mean streets of an unforgiving city. It was a journey that would rob her of her innocence, her youth -- and ultimately her life. 

Read her diary. Enter her world. 
You will never forget her. 
For thirty-five years, the acclaimed, bestselling first-person account of a teenage girl's harrowing decent into the nightmarish world of drugs has left an indelible mark on generations of teen readers. As powerful -- and as timely -- today as ever, Go Ask Alice remains the definitive book on the horrors of addiction.
This book really had an impact on my life. So here is a teaser!

" Febuary 8
Well, I've gained almost fifteen pounds since we've been here, my face is a mess and my hair is so stringy and oily I'd have to wash it every night to keep it decent. Dad is never home and mMom is on my back all the time, 'Be happy, put up your hair, be positive, smile, show some spirit, be friendly,' and if they tell me I'm actually negatively and immaturely one more time I'm going to gag. I can't wear any of the clothes I made before I came here and I know Tim is ashamed of me like a dum-dum, insults me and makes remarks about my hippy hair. I'm getting fed up to here with this town and school in general and my family and myself in particular." 
                                                                                             - Page 15

That quote was taken before the major downward spiral.

These diaries that Beatrice Sparks formed into novels were really amazing. There are many great ones out there. It Happened to Nancy and Jay's Journal are other favorites of mine. Basically the bottom line is that they are great reads of my past. Comment a link to your own posts about your favorite novels from the past, or just comment your favorites! If you want to post a Throwback Thursday make sure you link it back to here!


No comments:

Post a Comment