Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Take Me There

Dylan has a bad-boy past and a criminal record. He knows that rich, beautiful Jess is way too good for him—but she has always been the one person who sees through his tough exterior and straight to his heart, and he has been hopelessly in love with her from the first time they met. He would change his life for a chance with her.

But trouble follows Dylan wherever he goes, and a deadly mistake soon forces him to hit the road and leave his dreams behind. He’s on the run and in search of answers—answers to questions he wishes he’d never asked.


Title: Take me There
Author: Carolee Dean
Published: July 20th 2010

Review:

Knock, knock...enter a male POV, love story, that does not make me want to throw up. Yay! Take me there was an original. I got more of the bad boy feel that I read in the Perfect Chemistry series. With the sensitive, I am a softy underneath, loooooove connection. You see, Dylan's been loving Jess for forever. She has been a little piece of life in his shitty messed up world. A lot of people mention how they read this for the love story, that they wanted Jess, Jess and more Jess. She was there for a lot of it, but they are right this book does not move day and night with love story. There is more to it than that. It is largely based off of his father, and why he is the way he is. 

I loved that this book did not follow the normal paradigm of YA. But I will not sing praises about it well "execution"(<--- if you read it you will get it.) There is a lot that could have been better about the story. For one, we could have had a major turn around on the ending. This is not your happy go lucky fairy tale, where the bad boy shits roses at the end of the tunnel. On the contrary this is a very real story about how the nice guy finishes last, and justice, is served... but poorly. 

I would have loved to give this story five-stars but I just couldn't bring myself to do it, when the ending brought the novel down terribly. My recommendation is that you read this book. I really enjoyed it and I think it is worth it, it will be a change of pace for whatever you have been reading. Maybe, even make you appreciate what you have been reading a little more. Don't read this book if you only like happy endings where everything is peachy clear in the end, because in this novel Romeo certainly sucks his poison. 

That is all I can really tell you without giving away anything. It was hard enough as it is. One thing that bothered me through this book is...was google not invented, because Dylan certainly could have figured out a lot about his dad if he had just bothered to type his name in a search engine. Anyways, carry on with your day. Reliving this book has me sad again and I need to go eat a Butterfinger or something.


Rating:

Ahh, I wish I could give it more, but that would require a complete rewrite of the ending.


Recommended reads based off of Take Me There:

No comments:

Post a Comment