Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bloodlines

The first book in Richelle Mead's brand-new teen fiction series - set in the same world as Vampire Academy.
When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.
Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.
Title: Bloodlines
Author: Richelle Mead
Published: August 23rd 2011
Where to buy: Barnes and Noble, Amazon

Review:

This new spin-off series of my very beloved Vampire Academy series was told through the perspective of Sydney. While there are many more interesting perspectives I would have liked to read this book in, *cough Adrian cough* Sydney was not... horrible. She is smart and a complete nerd which I suppose hits a little close to home for me, so basically, I can relate to her. She was not the kick-ass, Strigoi stabbing, heart-breaking women Rose was, but then again no one could have filed her shoes. Sydney mainly kicked ass with her intelligence which could have been more impressive, but in this novel she was just starting to break out of her shell so I feel we will see way more BA stuff from this girl in the upcoming novels in this series. 

Now onto my lovely, broken Adrian. He is still heartsick over Rose, and who would expect him to be otherwise. There were times when he was confessing his emotions to Sydney or Jill was speaking about them and I could not help but just want to grab him and make an Adrian and Kelley sandwich. He is what I would call the imperfect guy. No one expects anything from him, so he expects nothing from himself. The only person to ever push him and get through to him was Rose. Sydney is able to show her faith in him in a different way and that sparks something inside of him. He starts painting and man he just gets hotter and hotter. I read the first eight pages that Mead posted of the original Bloodlines that was going to be told from alternating perspectives, and I know I would have liked that version better but Mead did not agree so here we are. I only get to see my beloved Adrian through Sydney's nerdy eyes. 

The romance...

Well there really was none. There was some tension and unexpressed feelings being held up inside our lovely bodyguard Eddie. But none of it was let out. I wish there had been I mean come on, as much as it hurts me to let Adrian go, I would not mind him being with Sydney, anyone really except for Jill. I mean what the hell was wrong with EVERYONE. Why are they so obsessed with her, holy crap she is 15 years old and stick skinny. Last I checked the voluptuous babes get the men, not the babies. But I guess everyone was just a cradle robbing pervert, anyways moving on remember you liked this book Kelley

So furthermore we get a crazy old man, his suspicious son, a dangerously lovely, smooth talking moroi, the stud, the best friend, the jailbait (that one shouldn't be too hard to guess), the two-faced idiot, and the brainy chick all wrapped up into one pretty novel. Oh yeah and I guess I should also add the MR. goodie goodie. 

Last thoughts...

This book was just a chance for everyone to get used to each other. For past to be put behind everyone, and for Sydney to start being the leading lady instead of a follower. One bad thing about this novel was how predictable it was, Mead made it painfully obvious that sketchy stuff was going down and that could have been done much more subtly. I suspect The Golden Lily to be 100 times what this book was and more.


Rating:












Recommended for people the enjoyed:
Vampire Academy (Especially Adrian Fans) or Blue Bloods

No comments:

Post a Comment